Saturday, November 1, 2014

Halloween at the our English school

There is a guideline in Mexico whereas in every English school at least 50% of the teachers must be native Mexicans.  We have some teachers from Canada, some from England and then most are from United States and Mexico.  The staff decided that we would sponsor a traditional Halloween party for the students.

I was in charge of the "Bobbing for Apples" game.  I thought that the kids would just come around to the games at their leisure, but that was not the case.  An audience sat in chairs and the barrel of apples was placed on the stage.  At that point, I had to convince three kids to come to the stage and see who could get the apples first.  Well, the children had never seen the game and would not put their heads under the water to retrieve the apples, plus, the apples were giant sized and much too large for their mouths.  Needless to say, the game took forever and I was expected to MC the whole thing in Spanish.  Luckily, there were only six kids at the party at that time, so I only had to do it twice.  Our  friend Bety had accompanied me to the party and she said that I didn't do too badly with my Spanish.  Bety and I also passed out candy to the kids when they came to each classroom in their costumes.  They were required to knock on the door and say,"Trick or Treat" in order to receive their candy.

There was one traditional Mexican competition in which the children write a calavera which are satirical mock obituaries about politicians, teachers and other people in power positions.  They poke fun at people and are used as a reminder that once we pass, we all end up in the same place.


No comments:

Post a Comment