Friday, November 21, 2014

Long awaited cooking lessons

I fit the description of a foodie, but since I cannot afford to eat every meal at a restaurant, I have to learn to cook myself. Hence, I have been searching for someone to teach me Mexican cooking.

Esperanza to the rescue!.  I was looking at the brochure and noticed volunteer opportunities in the kitchen so I presented myself to the cook, Juanita,  and she agreed to my assistance.  I perused the weekly menu to chose my recipes days.  I was very excited about today's menu item, Chipolte Salchita Lentils.  Much to my disappointment, salchita turned out to be hot dogs, but at least I was able to learn how to make the chilpolte sauce.  I also cut up 3 dozen bananas for Fried Bananas. I was aghast to discover they are deep fried in oil.  My grilled bananas recipe is much healthier and very tasty. If you want to try it, slice whole bananas lenthwise while maintaining the banana in the peel. Then grill the banana. Next, place a dollup of crema mexican and drizzle some maple syrup. Yum, yum!

Yet another cooking opportunity has presented itself.  I had posted at the Oaxaca Lending Library that I would trade cooking lessons for English lessons.  I received an inquiry email today.

No comments:

Post a Comment