Sunday, November 9, 2014

A Cooking lesson on roasted salsa

I have been searching for someone to teach me about Mexican cooking. One of my coworkers, Adrianna, volunteered.  She drove me to an outdoor market near her home.  We purchased meat and salsa ingredients.  When purchasing the meat, tomatoes, onion and serrano peppers, you have an option to have them grilled on a BBQ.  After the grilling, we went to her place where we seeded the serranos and placed them in a blender with the onions, garlic and some water.  At the final, the tomatoes were added whole, then pulsed twice.  Now I know how to make roasted salsa.  Maybe I won't have to go to the buffet everyday.  Adrianna also showed me the best place to purchase cheese, tortillas and for the first time in Oaxaca I found fresh eggs.  The market vendors were referring to me as "La California."

Unfortunately my lessons were short-lived because her husband was hit by a drunk driver.  He is in the hospital but will be fine.  Oaxaca does not punish drunk drivers just as the USA had no punishment before MADD pushed for drinkers to take responsibility for their choices.   If you have forgotten those crazy days, I suggest you watch Dragnet which is an old black and white cop show from the 1960s which reenacts real crimes or Quincy which depicts the investigative techniques of a coroner.  In one Quimcy episode, a man purposely mows down an enemy with his car, then chugs a couple bottles of booze while waiting for the cops. You see, before MADD, being drunk precluded you from punishment because it "wasn't my fault". 

No comments:

Post a Comment