Saturday, August 23, 2014

Healthy Mexicans

Mexico has a reputation for being a nation of unhealthy people but I can tell you that compared to the average American, these people do not have a problem.  And the best part about the health here is that NOBODY SMOKES.  In the 7 weeks I have been here, I have seen on average of 2 cigarettes per week, and several of those were being smoked by Americans.  There do not seem to be any particular laws prohibiting it, so I assume that it is just not affordable.  Some of these people live off very little money.  There are ladies who cruise the zocalo all day for I do not know how many hours, probably 12 to 16, and they are trying to sell a little painted comb or painted toothpicks for a few pennies.  They probably make $4 per day or so.  Yeah, no money to waste on cigarettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment