Wednesday, October 29, 2014

They must think I am an angel. An angel amoung us?

Almost daily, our street is shut down for a period of time to allow a peaceful protest march to proceed.  Here is a picture of a 5000 person "marcha".  At one point I thought that the march had ended and began to follow the crowd back to my apartment.  Another 200 people appeared and I had to stand in a raised doorway to let them through.  They were all very poor campesinos from the outlying pueblos.  It is likely that many of them had never seen a gringo, especially one with blond hair.  One by one they all turned their heads and stared at me as they marched by.  Finally I had to move down to ground level because I was feeling uncomfortable. 

Yesterday, nursing students were marching because they wanted their principal fired.

No comments:

Post a Comment