Sunday, July 6, 2014

First bus ride for Arin , our apt

Arin was invited on an outing by a gal at the school.  He is not sure where he is going, due to the language barrier.

He has returned. He traveled by bus to a market far from town.  He says it was the same as the other markets.

Today I am leaving my hotel and moving to an apartment. After failing to find an apartment on my own, one of the hotel owners, Teresa, made some phone calls and sent me over to this place which is called Meson del Penasco. On first approach, the complex is very off-putting.  The curb appeal leaves something to be desired. A large heavy metal door serves an entrance to the building and the outside walls are covered in graffiti. I can't see inside and must ring a bell to access the property. If I were in America, I would think I was deep in the ghetto. It is reminiscent of the area of Mexico City where the Aero Mexico airline put me up for a night after an unexpected travel delay. In Mexico City I was afraid to go out, but now that I have been in Oaxaca for a few days, I have discovered that all homes and apartment entrances have the same type of entrance. Hotels and shops have open entrances, but the residences are protected by these metal doors. The place where I am volunteering, The Oaxaca Learning Center, also sports this type of entrance, and most of the buildings in town, even the churches and historical buildings are tagged with graffiti. It's everywhere, so don't freak out when you are driving in from the airport. In the case of Oax, graffiti does not depict a ghetto at all; it's just the normal landscape. I wish I could tell you that walls are covered in murals, but unfortunately, this is just straight up graffiti and occasionally, political messages. Now that you have seen the outside of the buildings, you will be pleasantly surprised by juxtaposition of the building interior. inside.may resemble a ghetto, but beautiful courtyards await you. The best part is that you are perf  safe. First of all, no one is getting through those metal doors, and secondly, there are no windows to the outside. All windows are open to the courtyard. If one did not have keys to the metal door, one would need to scale the outside wall, climb over the roof, then drop into the courtyard without anybody seeing them. This is not going to happen!
Now that I have beveled you with the description the outside of the buildings, let me show you the juxtaposition of the building interior where beautiful courtyards await you. inside.may resemble a ghetto, but beautiful courtyards await you.
We have a one bedroom, 2 bed apartment with kitchen and bath, along with this beautiful courtyard, complete with fountain. This place is called . It was built by the owner's family 200 years ago and still stands strong.
Transportation:

No comments:

Post a Comment